This morning at 5:30, we talked the top 10 muscle cars. Here's the list:
1. 1967 Shelby Mustang GT 500- The GT500 was basically a factory-authorized tuner Mustang created by Carroll Shelby. Introduced in 1967, the GT500 joined the GT350 on showroom floors and offered a 428-cubic-inch Police Interceptor engine with a conservatively rated 355 horsepower.
2. 1969 Dodge Charger R/T- The baddest of the early Chargers was the R/T, with its standard 440 Magnum under the hood churning out a solid 375 horsepower. Its top available engine, however, the all-conquering 426 Hemi cranked out an astounding 425 horses.
3. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454- Chevrolet offered two versions of the 454-cubic-inch V-8. The LS5 generated a very impressive 360 horsepower, while the LS6 punched out a whopping 450 ponies. It's the LS6 version, with its Holley four-barrel carburetor, that put the SS 454 on this list.
4. 1970 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda- Armed with the dual-carburetor, 426-cubic-inch Hemi that whipped up 425 horsepower. A shaker hood, featuring an air intake mounted on top of the engine's air cleaner that protrudes through a hole in the hood, was standard on the Hemi 'Cuda.
5. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL-1- Based on Chevrolet's iconic 427 V-8 engine, the ZL power plant had an aluminum block in place of the regular 427's iron one -- the first such Chevy production engine. Although it was officially rated at the regular 427's 430 horsepower, most independent testers pegged the output as being much higher.
6. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429- Fewer than 1,400 were built between 1969 and 1970, making the Boss 429 a rare bird indeed. Its 429-cubic-inch V-8 engine delivered 375-horsepower.
7. 1967 Pontiac GTO- Although the 1965 gets mentioned, the 1967 marked the first availability of ram air through a functional hood scoop on the GTO. It was a 400-cubic-inch V-8, delivering 360 horsepower.
8. 1970 Ford Boss 302 Mustang- featuring the high-rev Boss 302 V8 engine, the Boss 302 was good for a zero-to-60-mph sprint in well under seven seconds, and it regularly clocked a sub-15-second quarter-mile.
9. 1970 Buick GSX- The 1970 GSX was built atop the already potent Buick GS 455 big-block coupe. . Only 678 GSX coupes were produced.
10. 1973 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am SD 455-The 455 engine was available in the second generation Firebird Trans Am was arguably the last high-performance engine of the original muscle car generation.