Dave Brockie, who as "Oderus Urungus" fronted the alien-costumed heavy metal band GWAR during graphic and fake-blood-soaked stage shows for more than three decades, has died. He was 50. Officers were called to Brockie's home Sunday evening and found the singer dead inside the home, Richmond police spokeswoman Dionne Waugh said Monday. Detectives don't suspect foul play at this time, and the medical examiner's office will determine cause of death, Waugh said. The band founded in 1984 is known for its comically grotesque costumes, stage antics and vulgar lyrics. GWAR was nominated for a Grammy Award for best long-form music video in 1993 for "Phallus in Wonderland" but lost to "Diva" by Annie Lennox. It also was nominated for best metal performance for "S.F.W." in 1996 but lost to "Happiness In Slavery" by Nine Inch Nails.
TOP 10: ODDEST / STRANGEST BANDS OF ALL TIME
1) MARILYN MANSON-He is perhaps best known for his songs and albums released in the 1990s, such as 1996's Antichrist Superstar, which along with his public image earned him a reputation in the mainstream media as a controversial figure and a seemingly negative influence on young people. **
2) INSANE CLOWN POSSE- The group is composed of Joseph Bruce and Joseph Utsler, who perform under the respective personas of the "Wicked Clowns" Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope .
3) GWAR- An American metal band that is known for their strange horror themed costumes dirty, filthy lyrics, and elaborate stage shows.
4) PRIMUS- Primus is pretty much the weirdest band there is. The name of their CDs almost says it all. Pork soda, fizzle fry, sailing the seas of cheese, tales from the punchbowl. The weirdest part of the band is les claypool due to his attire, the way he moves, his singing and lyrics, and of course his mad basslines.
5) FRANK ZAPPA & THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION- Zappa was an American composer, guitarist, singer and satirist. While his music was well accepted it was also very strange nonetheless.
6) KISS- Well known for its members' black and white face paint and flamboyant stage outfits, the group rose to prominence in the mid to late 1970s with their elaborate live performances, which featured fire breathing, blood spitting, smoking guitars, shooting rockets, levitating drum kits and pyrotechnics.
7) SYSTEM OF A DOWN- also known as SOAD and often shortened to System, The band achieved commercial success with the release of five studio albums, of which three debuted at number one on the Billboard 200.
8) FOCUS- a Dutch rock band which was founded by classically trained organist/ flautist Thijs Van Leer in 1969, and is most famous for the instrumental pieces "Hocus Pocus" and "Sylvia".
9) DEVO- The band had a No. 14 Billboard chart hit in 1980 with the single "Whip It", and has maintained a cult following throughout its existence.
10) MR. BUNGLE - Mr. Bungle were known for their distinctive musical traits, often cycling through several musical genres within the course of a single song. Mr. Bungle achieved worldwide popularity due to a large cult following.