Newspapers in the United Arab Emirates are reporting that the American drummer for the rock band Scorpions has been sentenced to one month in jail after being convicted of offensive behavior in Dubai. The government-backed National newspaper reported Tuesday that James Kottak was convicted of insulting Islam, raising his middle finger and being under the influence of alcohol while in transit at Dubai airport. The Gulf News daily says he was arrested April 3 en route from Russia to Bahrain, where the German band was scheduled to perform at a Formula One race. Kottak was a no-show at the April 5 concert. The newspapers say Kottak admitted to drinking but denied other charges. The Scorpions' manager didn't respond to requests for comment. Kottak's local lawyer couldn't immediately be reached.
TOP 10: CRAZIEST ROCK DRUMMERS OF ALL TIME
1) GINGER BAKER / CREAM - As part of Cream, arguably the most powerful power trio of the Psychedelic Age, Ginger Baker radically upped the ante for rock drumming and outrageous behavior. He once decided to kick a heroin habit by driving across the Sahara.
2) KEITH MOON / THE WHO- His drumming talents were immense, and his capabilities for wreaking havoc were even greater. He was the first person in recorded history to throw a television out of a hotel-room window. He once accidentally drove over and killed his chauffeur, which is sad and terrible, and yet also about the most perfect embodiment of the collision of vast wealth and an unchecked id that Moon embodied.
3) JOHN BONHAM / LED ZEPPELIN- His playing, astounding, ambitious, and still capable of stunning a listener who's heard every Zep song a million times was matched only by his ability to hold his liquor. On the last day of his life, Bonham drank an estimated forty servings of vodka before, during, and after rehearsal for a planned American tour.
4) TOPPER HEADON / THE CLASH - Topper Headon managed to achieve getting fired from a Punk band in 1982. Headon's drug use had ballooned to the point where he had a roadie ready with a mirror full of cocaine to snort between songs when the stage lights went down. And when he wasn't doing blow, he was doing heroin.
5) TOMMY LEE / MOTLEY CRUE- Tommy Lee's most outrageous behavior would fill several thick books on their own. He boasted a flying drum kit that allowed him to perform drum solos while suspended above the heads of the audience. (It was later upgraded to spin upside down.)
6) LARS ULRICH/ METALLICA- At some point all unconditional adoration went to his head, and at the turn of the millennium, he began a public feud with Napster, and had zero qualms about attacking overzealous fans using the service to trade unreleased Metallica material along with the programmers facilitating the digital black market.
7) TERRY BOZZIO/ ZAPPA / MISSING PERSONS- Terry Bozzio's become a legend among musicians for assembling one of the most outrageously elaborate drum sets of all time. Dubbed the S.S. Bozzio, the kit consists of some three dozen drums and two dozen cymbals, as well as an assortment of gongs, tambourines, and other assorted percussion instruments. When it's fully assembled, the S.S. Bozzio displaces approximately the same volume of space as a compact SUV.
8) BILL WARD / BLACK SABBATH- Black Sabbath drummer Bill Ward has repeatedly proven that he's possessed by a special kind of crazy. During a chemical-fueled recording session Sabbath guitarist Tommy Iommi asked Ward if he could set him on fire. Ward said that he wanted to keep his mind on work. But at the end of the day, after he'd wrapped things up, Ward told Iommi, "I'm going home now, so if you want, you can set fire to me." The guitarist took him up on the offer, and after being doused in alcohol and set afire, Ward ended up in the hospital with third-degree burns.
9 ) VINNIE PAUL / PANTERA- A documentarian of on-the-road antics, and the couple of official tour videos they released resemble a season of Jackass set in the backstage areas of many large American music venues, marked by an abundance of explosives and booze, and a complete disregard for property and personal safety. Paul and company are probably the only multiplatinum band to ever include a post-show Taco Bell feast on their tour rider.
10) JOSH FREESE / DEVO- He's among the most hardcore workaholics in pop-music history. In 2009, he launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a solo record in which the perks for donors included a chicken-and-waffle dinner with Marilyn Manson bassist Twiggy Ramirez and a trip with Freese down to Tijuana.