Burger King is scrapping its 40-year-old "Have It Your Way" slogan in favor of the more personal "Be Your Way."
The chain says the new tag line will roll out across its marketing in the U.S., including in a TV ad that will begin airing Monday night. The line made its first appearance in an online video last month. Burger King says in a statement that the new motto is intended to remind people that "they can and should live how they want anytime. It's ok to not be perfect ... Self-expression is most important and it's our differences that make us individuals instead of robots." Fernando Machado, Burger King's senior vice president of global brand management, noted in an interview that "Have It Your Way" focuses only on the purchase - the ability to customize a burger. By contrast, he said "Be Your Way" is about making a connection with a person's greater lifestyle. "We want to evolve from just being the functional side of things to having a much stronger emotional appeal," said Machado, who joined the company in March.
TOP 10: FAMOUS FAST FOOD SLOGANS OF ALL TIME
1) I'M LOVIN' IT - McDONALDS HAMBURGERS
2) THINK OUTSIDE THE BUN- TACO BELL
3) HAVE IT YOUR WAY - BURGER KING RESTAURANTS
4) FINGER LICKIN' GOOD - KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN
5) WHERE'S THE BEEF? - WENDY'S HAMBURGERS
6) THIS IS HOW YOU SONIC - SONIC RESTAURANTS
7) EAT FRESH ! - SUBWAY SANDWICH SHOPS
8) WE DON'T MAKE IT UNTIL YOU ORDER IT - JACK IN THE BOX RESTAURANTS
9) WHAT YOU CRAVE - WHITE CASTLE HAMBURGERS
10) EAT MOR CHIKIN - CHICK-FIL-A RESTAURANTS