“Jersey Boys” is a strange movie, and it’s a Clint Eastwood enterprise, both reasons to see it. For those with a love of doo-wop, it also provides a toe-tapping, ear-worming stroll down rock ’n’ roll memory lane that dovetails with that deeply cherished American song and dance about personal triumph over adversity through hard work, tough times and self-sacrifice. The stage version of “Jersey Boys” opened in 2005 on Broadway, where it’s still going strong, and has long been making money around the world, from Australia to South Africa.
TOP 10: BROADWAY SHOWS TURNED MOVIES OF THE 2000'S
1) CHICAGO ( 2002 ) Adapted from the show that first opened on Broadway in 1975, “Chicago” the film is a beloved version of the classic story.
2) HAIRSPRAY ( 2007 )- First it was a 1998 film, then it was a 2002 Broadway show, but then, in 2007, it was turned into another film, which is what earned it a place on this list! Boasting an all-star cast including John Travolta as Edna Turnblad, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Christopher Walken.
3) MAMA MIA ! ( 2008 )- This musical opened in 2001 and announced its film adaptation in 2008 starring Meryl Streep, with the music of ABBA
4) RENT ( 2005 )- This 2005 film adaptation was all “Rent” fanatics could talk about for the year before and the year after it was released.
5) THE PRODUCERS ( 2005 )- This Mel Brooks film was the third of its kind. The 1967 film was first written and directed by Brooks, and starred Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel. It was then turned into a Broadway production by Brooks in 2001, and this reboot was made in 2005.
6) SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET ( 2007 )- Though the 1979 musical has been adapted for the movies more than once (first as a TV movie in 1982), we’re talking about the Johnny Depp-starring, Oscar-winning, Tim Burton “Sweeney Todd.”
7) ROCK OF AGES ( 2012 )- One surprising thing about this 2012 rock musical film: The screenplay was written by actor Justin Theroux (“American Psycho”) and is one of his six writing credits that includes “Tropic Thunder.
8) DREAMGIRLS ( 2006 )- This 2006 Broadway-film adaptation was nominated for eight Academy Awards in 2007, and made Jennifer Hudson an Oscar winner. Based on the musical that first opened in 1981.
9) THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA ( 2004 )- How can you go wrong with Gerard Butler in the titular role? Based on the longest running Broadway show ever, with over 10,000 performances, the 2004 film also stars Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson, and Minnie Driver.
10) JERSEY BOYS ( 2014 )- From director Clint Eastwood comes the movie version of the beloved show “Jersey Boys,” the story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons.