Every week during 2022, 99.1 PLR focuses on one of the many great rock artists in history. Listen weekdays at 11am, 1pm, 5pm and 9pm as we play one of their classics, a live cut, or a fan favorite. This week is Scorpions.
Classic Line Up:
Lead Singer: Klaus Meine
Lead Guitar: Rudolf Schenker
Rhythm Guitar: Matthias Jabs
Bass: Francis Buchholz
Drums: Herman Rarebell
Scorpions have been around for a long time. They formed in 1965 in Germany and were truly one of the first hard rock bands. It was the late ’70s when they changed their sound to have a bit more of a pop feel. They started to create albums with hard rock songs but also power ballads. The U.S. Festival in 1983 was a game changer for the band, as it was aired live on MTV. They followed that up with “Love At First Sting” and a string of success into the early ’90s. While their popularity started to wain in the ’90s, the band never stopped recording or touring. In fact, they released a new album just this year.
Albums Sold: 10.5 Million
Studio Albums: 19
Grammys Won: Sadly no but they did win Playboy Magazine Best Artwork of the Year for Lovedrive.
- They are not “THE” Scorpions. That’s how you can tell if it’s a real fan or not. They are just SCORPIONS
- The band can not actually speak English. They can sing in English but they cannot have an actual conversation.
- The band never had a manager. They have always managed themselves and did all the paperwork associated with that gig.
- Gorky Park, referenced in Wind of Change, is actually in Russia and not in Germany.
- 6 number 1 hits, 6 different countries.
Powered by McDermott Chevrolet & Lexus